It can take hours trawling through WordPress Themes. After a while they all become one and your head becomes overwhelmed with all their features and slide shows. Choosing your theme can be difficult and time consuming. Below are some simple guides to choosing themes:
- Think what is it that I want to be prominent on my home page? Note down the things that you regard as essential for example a calendar, testimonials, twitter feeds, etc. If you find a theme that ticks most of your essentials then that is great. If not then do not worry as most templates will have widget areas and you install widgets that you need. However be aware that some widgets may disrupt the function of your theme and the less you have to change the better
- Look at how many times the theme has been downloaded compared to rating and review. The more history the theme has generally the more you can find about technical problems people have posted with answers from the theme support and this can be helpful.
- Look for a responsive theme that will make your website automatically respond to any handheld device for example mobile or tablet.
- When you buy your theme make sure that it is a WordPress theme (if it is WordPress that you are going to use)
- Good places to visit for WordPress themes are ThemeForest and Elegant Themes